Cloud Information Model Design
We organized the Cloud Information Model (CIM) into components so that you can navigate and consume the content easier. Here are the components of the CIM design.
- Subject Area: A major business concept identified by the CIM consortium, such as Party. Each subject area contains one or more entity groups.
- Entity Group: A logical grouping of related entities with in a subject area, such as Account. Each entity group contains one or more entities.
- Entity: A unique object that an organization collects information about, such as an Account Contact. An entity is analogous to a standard database table.
- Attribute: A unique characteristic of an entity, such as Account Id or Contact Email. An attribute is analogous to a standard database field within a table.
Supertypes and Subtypes
In addition, the CIM design customizes and extends entities into further groupings using supertypes and subtypes.
- Supertype: An entity that is extended by subtype entities, and defines common attributes for similar concepts.
- Subtype: An entity that extends another entity, and inherits the attributes from its super type entity.
For example, Individual is a subtype entity of the Party supertype entity.
Subject Area Diagram Legend: